HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 125 gr. 30.06
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 AM
Mykey
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 125 gr. 30.06

I've been loading and shooting whitetails with the Hornady 130gr SP in my 30.06 for about 10yrs now with great results. This bullet is very accurate in my rifle shooting under 1" groups at 100yds all day if i do my part with my best 4 shot group measuring .644. I've lost count of the deer i've killed with this bullet. All but a couple have fallen in the scope when isqueezed the trigger and the few that did run fell within sight.Shots behind the shoulder and through the ribs have been pass throughs butthe ones i've hit in the shoulder were lodged in the skin on the far side and usuallystill together and in a nice mushroom but i have found a couple that came apart. I've always managed to recover my deer so i'd say the bullet did what it was designed to do....it killed. Closest shot was about 50yds and the longest was 286yds.I also load this bullet in my brother's and a friends 30.06 and accuracy is very good and their results on game has been very good as well.I've read some positive and negative reviews on the Nosler 125gr BT on deer from the 30.06 and the 300win but personally i'd be a little shakey about using that combination for deer. IMO the Sierra 125gr pro hunter would probably be a better choice if one wanted to use a 125gr bullet.TheSD with the 130gr is a little better though at 196 compared to188 with the 125gr.

Having said all that,i currently have some Barnes 130gr tsx on order to try out. Not that i'm disappointed in the hornadybecause they've never failed me, i just think the barnes tsx is a better design/constructed bullet.If i can get them to shoot as accurate as the Hornadysi'll probably switch over but if not then i'll continue to shoot the Hornady.Mike

Here's my hornady load.
130gr SP
Rem Brass
CCI200
51.5gr/IMR4064