HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - buckhammer slugs
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: buckhammer slugs

Pretty much your best option if you want to shoot a full sized slug out of a rifled barrel. From what I have read they are fairly accurate, depends on your gun though. And everyone that has tried them says they kick like the dickens.

As far as performance on game they would be no better than rifled slugs or the cheaper saboted lead slugs. The saboted pistol bullets in the premium shotgun ammo loads would perform better on game because of the better bullet design most likely. However, dead is dead right.

I used brenneke gold magnums which are simular to these, (600 grn full bore slug with a wad that stays attached in flight) and they worked ok. Put a quarter sized hole thru a 170 lb deer. The entrance and exit wound were the same size. The lungs were mush and the top half of the heart was gone. Still ran 90 yards though. A shoulder shot probably would have dropped it.

My personal opinion, for the price difference you could probably get simular performance out of 2-3 dollar rifled slugs if you find some your gun likes. My H&R will shoot some into 3 shot ragged holes at 100 yards. Plenty accurate enough to kill deer with. Makes a mess in the barrel though and accuracy drops off after 4 or 5 shots.

They make a reduced recoil version of this round as well if you are worried about recoil.

Paul