HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Federal Fusion..NOT impressed
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Slo-bo

Default Federal Fusion..NOT impressed

I tried running a search on this ammo here and came up with nothing. If it has been discussed, humor me and point me to whereI might read it. I reload all my own ammo, so I have never used the Fusion, but a friend of mine used it on elk this fall, and the bullet core and jacket completely seperated. The ad for fusion reads in part,, andI quote, " Fusion's lethal punch comes from bonding the jacket to the core in a special process at the molecular level. This completely eliminates jacket and core seperation..". When he contacted Federal about it, this was the reply he recieved.

("thoughts would bethat this bullet was specifically designed for deer and I never recommend it for larger game. I’m surprised the dealer did not inform you orpossibly he also did not know. All advertisements and packaging indicate this. Im sincerely glad that it turned out well but I would use a tougher ,deeper penetrating bullet like the Barnes triple Shock X, Nosler Partition for optimal penetration and weight retention.)

HUH? What didI miss here? Their very own ad (at least in the Cabela's catalog thatI looked it up in) says nothing of the sort. Maybe it says something to this effect on the actual box, as I said,I don't have or use it, so I don't know. Regardless, IMO, it is not up to a dealer to know or tell you what ammo to use on what game, half of the clerks that work in the chain sporting goods store don't know a gun from a granola bar in the first place. And secondly, if you took their promo to heart, you should be able to shoot any animal with a .243 Fusion, and even if the bullet only went a third of the way through, it still would not seperate. Bear with me here, I'm not suggesting anybody ought to go elk hunting with a .243, but if one would belive what they say about their ammo, they certainly should not expect trouble when huntingelk with a 30-06.I am going to contact Federal myself just for my own interest, and do a little more research into this, mostly just wondering what experiences any of you may have had with this ammo, either good or bad as far as bullet performance goes, especially on big game. I'm interested in bullet performance only, accuracy is not in question here.