HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Homemade Lighted Nock review (w/ pictures)
Old 10-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Bols

Default Homemade Lighted Nock review (w/ pictures)

First off, I would like to thank Lunker hunter for his video and detailed instructions.

I have had directions for making these homemade lighted nocks for quite some time, but only after I saw his video did I spring into action to make them.

Unfortunately, I had already bought a 3-pack of Lumenoks. But either way, the Lumenoks gave me the opportunity to run a little test after making my own lighted nock.

I choose to create an all "green" lighted nock. I used a Green Thill light (twist kind, which I do not recommend, use the press on kind as described in the Lunker hunter's video) and a Flo. Green Gold Tip 22 nock. I think they turned out pretty nice.

Not only does this nock seem to be pretty stout, I enjoyed making it. There is something about working on or buildingyour own equipment which makes you feel good.

Follow the directions in this video to create your own lighted nock.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1741690

If you follow the steps correctly, you should have no problem creating well crafted nocks such as this one:

Just the nock, light is on:

In the arrow, light on:

In the arrow, light off:

From the shot angle:

So far, so good right? Now how about a little challenge?

I luckily had a Lumenok on hand. While I understand "Red" vs. "Green" might create a potential "Apple" vs. "Orange" effect, I still feel it was valuable to show how the two compare.

I shot these two arrows at approximately 15 yards in my basement.

I took the picture from directly behind the arrows at 5 feet.

For something that cost me less than $3.50 and 5 minutes of my time, I am happy to say I am pleased with the results.

While the Lumenok appears to be a touch brighter, you have no difficulty, in pure darkness, spotting the homemade "Green" nock on the upper right.

I was also able to buy two push on type redThill lights as well, all for under $12. Remember, when you are buying the Thill lights, make sure you buy the push on type. Not the twist on kind. Unforunately, I didn't read the packaging before I bought the green one. I was just excited Thill made a green light, something different!

Now that nock light is stuck on. Ohh well, I can now test the true battery life and compare it to what Thill advertises it at.

Hopefully the directions crafted by Lunker hunter, along with my test results may steer you "handymen" to customize your own lighted nock, rather than buying them.

Hope things are well this season, Happy Hunting and God Bless!

Bols