HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How can I reduce trigger pull weight??
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 AM
ShatoDavis

Default RE: How can I reduce trigger pull weight??

I know nothing of the services you are refering to. But, any respectable gunsmith can adjust a remington 700 trigger into the 3 to 3 1/2 pound range.

I idea of a light trigger being anymore or less dangerous than a heavy trigger pull is a falacy. Safety begins and ends with the "nut behind the trigger" (ie you). I'm not a fan of the term "trigger safety" either. Any loaded weapon is dangerous if not kept pointed downrange. I hunt with a light trigger myself, generally in the 3 lb or less range. Though I never load a round into the chamber unless the muzzle is pointed in a "safe" area. I never trust the safety catch on any of my rifles even though I've never had one fail. Think of it this way, Many animals are killed each year with a bow. In order to kill with a bow an archer must draw his weapon before the shot. That is much more movement than cycling the bolt on a rifle. I prefer to hunt on an empty chamber and when an animal I want to harvest is in range I slowly and silently cycle my bolt and take the shot. So in my opinion you can lighten a trigger to a light crisp break that suits you, so long as the trigger still has sufficient sear engagement to negate a "slam fire" (ie so light that when you slam the bolt closed or hit the weapon with force the trigger fails.)