HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady SST Bullets
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002, 12:51 PM
jmcd
Spike

Default RE: Hornady SST Bullets

I used the 180g SST in my 300 Win Mag this year. Killed 1- 3 or 4 year old bull moose, 1 - 120 whitetail and 1 med Caribou bull. The moose took 2 shots as the first was thru the boiler room but he was still standing so I gave him another thru the shoulder.
Moose was 211 yards.
Caribou was 239 yards
Deer was 365. (Shouldn't have shot but missed the first shot and couldn't turn it off)
Each hit seemed to me to be fairly explosive in nature but I didn't recover any of the bullets to see what kind of shape they were in.
The moose was thru the meat on the one side and broke the shoulder on the off side on the second shot.The first hit took out 2 ribs but never passed thru.
The moose was 10 feet from the first shot.
The deer was approx. 40 yards from where he was hit. Hit him low and took out about 6" of breastbone.
The caribou was straight down. Hit him high and took out 4" of spine behind the shoulder. Hope to get this bullet when we skin him this weekend.
I will continue to use them as you can't argue with meat in the freezer.
I also think they act like the Nosler BT but I had BT come apart out of my 300 so I don't use them. The SST hold together and kill just fine.