HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady SST Bullets
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2002, 11:12 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hornady SST Bullets

Just returned from our annual hunt and saw the SST take 5 deer.
Rifle 3006 with 150Gr SST factory load
Doe #1 125 Yards broadside (ave size 150 lbs)
in right rib behind shoulder 1" hole entrance, 3" hole exit left rib. Damage tore right lung in 2 and blew apart left lung. Blood trails was good and constant from hit sight deer traveled 75 yards.(no meat loss)
Doe #2 200 Yards slightly quartering away (ave size 150Lbs)
Hit left side back a a little far, took out liver, entrance was 1/2" and then tore out the right lung, exit was 21/2". Blood trail was poor, due to placement and it was a little high (wound channel seemed to be plugged), deer went 100 Yards (no meat loss)
Buck #1 75 Yards quartering. (ave size 250 lbs 4x4)
right side in through right elbow, bullet sized hole and exited through Left shoulder(massive damage). Lungs were completely trashed. Huge blood on the ground travelled 30 feet.
Buck #2 200 Yards Rear only shot (yeap texas lung) (300 Lbs 4x4)
Bulet entered right ham and exited right ham, entrance was 1" exit was 3". Damage took out hip socket and femral (lucky) deer traveled 100 yards and required a finishing shot. (lost a portion of the right ham for meat loss)

Buck #3 (154 Gr 7 Rem Mag-my deer) - Quartering away 100 yards (350 lbs 5x7)
Entrance was tight behind right shoulder (between rib 1/2" hole) and exited front left shoulder -4" exit wound. The deer dropped in it tracks. Damage was lungs/heart trashed and the left shoulder dam near plucked from it's hide. Meat loss was the whole front left shoulder. Blood was emmense, but he never took a step.

My thoughts on this bullet is the same as stumblejumper, they behave like a Nosler BT, which I have shot for years at deer. So very explosive and damaging, I was pleased with how they performed out of my gun, the damage to the shoulder would have been the same result with just about any bullet style IMO. It did exactly what I wanted it to do and that was get home and put my animal on the dirt asap. So I can't complain. However those who say they are tougher than Nosler BT's are full of it, as I see no difference (except possibly the price). I would shoot them again for deer and recommend them but no more so then BT. So if you like BT and their performance you'll be please with the SST. If not then don't load them, cause you will find no differences in the two.