HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Triple 7 vs pyrodex
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Triple 7 vs pyrodex

All I can tell you is to try the rifle. It will decide for you in most cases. Some rifles like a certain powder and can actually hate a different powder. I have a CVA .54 caliber Mountain Stalker.. for the best accuracy I shoot 80 grains of Triple Se7en, a wonder wad or bore button, and a patched roundball. A very effective and accurate rifle with that load. If I load it with pyrodex the group will spread almost another two inches.

Yet I have a Tradition's Hawkins what loaded with Pyrodex RS or Goex 2fand the groups are fantastic.Load it with Triple Se7en and every thing goes down hill from there.

It will really depend on the rifle.

The advantage of Triple Se7en in a traditional is less fowling, and easier to clean. Also you use less powder to gain the same or greater roundball speed. You do have to keep an eye out when shooting TripleSe7en for a hard crud build up in the breech which can hinder the seating of the projectile. A simple damp patch is all that is necessary to correct the matter.

Actually in almost all my traditional rifles I shoot Goex 2f or 3f powder and get excellent results.