HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BLR Caliber
Thread: BLR Caliber
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 08:54 PM
bigbulls
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BLR Caliber

The thing about a 270WSM, or any of the WSM's, when chambered in the BLR is that the BLR comes with a 22 inch barrel. You WILL NOT reach the published velocities and the associated ballistics that you are liking so much. The ballistics will be a little bit better than the old 270 but they aren't going to be nearly as signifigant as you might think being shot out of a BLR. You will loose about 75 - 100 fps with the shorter barrel length in comparison with published velocities. The more powder a cartridge burns and the higher the velocity it is able to generate the more speed loss per inch of barrel as a general rule.

A WSM or any cartridge that burns magnum charges of powder needs at least 24 inches of barrel to reach their potential and 26 is better. I put a 25.5" barrel on my 300 wsm so I could actually take advantage of the magnum velocities it offered and it should actually surpass the published velocities if I ever chronograph a factory load.

My personal choice in the BLR would be the 358 Winchester but ammo availability is a concern. My second choice would definetly be a toss up between the standard .270, 30-06, .308 or the 7mm-08. If you want a magnum I would definetly go with either the 7mm Rem mag or the 300 Win mag. Both of these come with 24 inch barrels which is the minimum barrel length for a magnum IMHO. The difference in recoil between the .270wsm and the 7mm Rem mag is neglegable.