HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BLR Caliber
Thread: BLR Caliber
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 03:36 PM
spuddog
Fork Horn

Default BLR Caliber

I'm looking at a Browning BLR. I currently hunt mulies here in CO with a 30-30 marlin, but will be hunting Elk, Bear and Antelope occasionally. I may also have a chance at pigs in California with my brother. I've read all the cartridge debates and had settled on either a -06 or .308 (I know, flip a coin).

The dilema: I really like the ballistics of the 270 WSM (I know that if I choose any of the big game calibers I'll be able to do what I need to), and especially the fact that it is a short action and claims to have these ballistics with lighter recoil. it seems to combine the elements I like of both the .308 and -06 with minimal sacrafice and slightly better ballistics. It also seems to have more of what I like in the rifle itself with the exception of bullet capacity. If I go 270WSM I get 6lb 12oz rifle (w/o scope 4oz heavier than the .308 and 8oz lighter than the -06), that has the same LOP as the .308 but the barrel lenghth of the -06 22") in a shorter package. I'm a little uncomfortable with the overall lenght of the .308 for longer shots (stability) and wouldn't mind a little longer gun.

The question: Not making this a caliber debate, and focusing on the fact that I prefer a shorter action (LOP) and lighter recoil and considering the weight and barrel lengths above, am I really getting anything better or that different. Now that I write this, I guess it really comes down to recoil.

I want to hear your opinions (I know EKM will say go with the 30 Cal) because this will probably be my only big game rifle due to finances and wife (and no, I'm not getting rid of my wife or my 5 kids). I respect the insight of this group and want to make sure that there isn't anything that I haven't considered (I'm a lever guy, don't like bolt action). The BLR is a pricey gun and the 270 WSM even more so.

Thanks

Spud