HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunt around Granby CO
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Howler
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunt around Granby CO

There has been no evidence found that eating the meat ofan animal that is tested postive for CWD, will cause humans any harm. There are a few precautionary steps to take, when handling the animal during field dressing choirs. It is suggested to avoid cutting through spinal cord and also suggest to avoid contact with the brain with your cutting tools.
My friend who's step son killed the infected animal, had the meat processed, before the test results were returned to him. He has chosen not to eat the meat. The state of CO. issued him a check that covered the cost of the CWD test and also about $280 dollars, which was to compensate for processing cost. Until now, I wasn't aware that the state paid anything toward covering processing costs of a CWD postive animal, but apparently, they do.
I, on the other hand, will have animals tested and will probably choose to eat the meat, even with a positive CWD result found.
Depending on the weather at the time you're hunting that area, depends on how much the elk will be bugling. Usually, they are really cranked up about the same time muzzleloader season starts. SO yes, this along with the added range of a black powder, you'll have an advantage!