HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Savage Model 112 fvss .300 win mag.
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2002, 08:03 PM
Mountain Cur
Fork Horn

Default RE: Savage Model 112 fvss .300 win mag.

Hi Stone Cold, I'll try and answer your questions. 300 win. over 300 ultra... Well, there were a few reasons, one being that there will be less powder used in reloading, another being recoil and noise level, and another being that I feel I can get along just fine with the "lowly" .300 win. mag. I really don't plan on ever buying anything larger than a .300 win., unless I were to become extravagantly wealthy, and even then I don't know if I would! Further ranges to see how it groups.... Well I am a member of a local gun club and although we have real nice benches made from cinderblocks and concrete, we only have a 100 yd range, but there is a place behind my house where we used to shoot milk jugs filled with water at 400 yds, I might do some of that next year. The question about the reloading... I don't know but I plan to find out. The question on the scope.... I like the higher power for longer ranges, as far as the big objective lens is concerned, I agree, that may very well be debatable. I am planning on replacing a 4-12x40 nikon next year that is currently on my ruger 7mm because I do not like the crosshair that is in it, and it will definitely not be any larger than a 40 mm, probably gonna be a 3.5-10 leoupold, maybe just maybe I might look at a burris, a friend of mine likes them.