HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .44 magnum rifle
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 07:14 PM
ChazyKEJ

Default RE: .44 magnum rifle

Yeah,

I actually am from New York. My wife's family is in Oswego county where they just changed to rifle zone this year. I currently am in Clinton County which is a rifle zone, just the deer are few and far between. I usually hunt in 8J which is still a shotgun zone. As mentioned, I originally bought the winchester .44 just because it was a beautiful little gun that I felt I had to have.Ironically, I wound up buying a .44 mag encore pistol the next year. It wasn't my first choice in caliber, but there was a real shortage of Encores a few years back, andmy dealer happened to have the .44 in the display case. I figured if I ever hiked into the adirondacks, the pistol would be a little lighter. I shoot the 240 grain winchesters in both and get really good accuracy. Had planned to get a 7mm-08 barrel and use the encore in the southern zone, but haven't done it yet. Most shots back home are 75-100 yards, so I haven't reallybeen using my handgun to hunt (though that is why I bought the Encore). At list point I have only shot deer with shotguns, so it is nice to get feedback on this cartridge.

Thanks,
KEJ