HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - REMINGTON MOD 700-300 WTBY MAG
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 02:07 AM
AmericanPioneer

Default RE: REMINGTON MOD 700-300 WTBY MAG

My Brother bought a new in the box Remington Classic in .300 Weatherby. He first used the Remington factory loads which worked just fine, but he wanted a smaller bullet for deer. I found some factory Weatherby ammo marked down on The Sportsmans Guide web site. The ammo was the 150 grain Nosler partition. Got it for I think $15.00 dollars a box. I bought six of them for his Christmas gift. When he fires it, it shows signs of high pressure on the case head. The brass seems to be flowing somewhat into the ejector hole and the case head has shiny marks around the entire circumference. He has never had a bolt get stuck though. I think Remington has some free bore, but not as much as Weatherby does for thir rifles. Their ammo is hot. Look at the ballistics of Weatheby ammo compared to others. A shoulder shot on a whitetail blows a tremendous hole going in. I hope this helps you out. Maybe you could get the chamber reamed out some more and give it some extra freebore. Weatherby should be able to help you out with the dimensions.