HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .17 cal rifle
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
mr-pirk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .17 cal rifle

F.F. Medic I have one, it is a Marlin bolt action WMR. There is a shorter round .17 as well thatthey came out with the year after I bought mine, I am not sure which you are asking about.

I have shot the Hornadys and the Winchesters throught it. It shoot both equally well, the only difference being that the Winchesters shoot about 3/4s of a inch to the left at 90 yards. Both group equaly well. At that distance I will most times have the hole touching a holeand sometimes it will shoot a hole in a hole. It is amazingly accurate.

The one negitive thing I have noticed is that seemingly without reason the point of impact will change and the gun will suddenly start hitting maybe and inch in any given direction. Once the point of impact changes to a new location the gun will group just as tight at the new location as it did at the old one.
I suspect it is because I shoot to many times between cleaning the barrel ( the .17 has extremely shallow rifling). I have tried to brass wire brush the barrel more often (at least evey 20 shots or so) and it doesn't seem to happen as often.

If you ever wanted to shoot a squirrel<sp> in the eye at a 100 yards you have the gun that will do it, it is amazingly accurate.
I don't have the bullistics handy, but if you do a google I am sure they can be found readily.

I hope this helps.

Thanks
Mr-Pirk