HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Skinning Black Bear
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Michelles_Taxidermy

Default RE: Skinning Black Bear

ORIGINAL: Bill Yox

I disagree with a couple points. First off, look at the diagram on the cuts for a rug. Now, if you really DID cut that far away from the anus, where is it going to end up? Yep, youd have a big flap of skin beyond the tail/anus on the rug. Instead, make your cut along the lower part of center of the leg, go THROUGH the anus so the tail is the lowest part of the edge of the rug. Thats exactly why I suggest asking your taxidermist first...I wouldve refused a rug cut that way. We all do things differently.

The other point...My work I display IS my customer work, whether its for competition or shows, or just for the customer. Theres only one quality. The one exception might be inner ear and inner mouth/throat details. Most of the better taxidermists dont have two levels. If theyre good, theyre good! I dont think you see that much anymore, where they do a nice show piece but the other stuff isnt so good.
Thank you Bill for pointing that out to me. I totaly agree with you on that I don't know whatI was thinking when I typed that out for the bear rug. I must have had my mind set on a Life Size cut for some reason. I was thinking about not messing up the anus for a life size.I made the corrections.

As for telling people to look at customer mounts. I know of a few guys in my area that is about all they hang in their show room,compitition mounts and specialty mounts. I have been in their show room andI have seen mounts that they have done for customers and their was a world of difference. They grooming was not as good, the ears were not painted, and neither was the nose and one of them even had the nose filled in. Only reason I put that point in was to bring it to their attention that they want to look at a Taxidermists customer mounts not the competitiong. Like down here if their is a difference than they won't get fooled.... I hang all my customer mounts in my show room as well. I'm like you I have nothing to hide.I dont keep my customer mounts in the shop and display my comp pieces.