HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mossberg 935, is it any good?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 08:43 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: Mossberg 935, is it any good?

TDW IMHO the 935 is like anyother Mossberg, "decent" as far as any gun goes and GREAT for cheap guns. Be advised that the 935 is NOT made nor recommended by the factory for 2 3/4" shells, the barrels are marked 3" & 3.5" only, the owners manual states that and the factory wont work on any of them sent back because they didn't cycle at 2 3/4" shells. That being said, I have sold quite a few of them in the last two years and have had more than one customer who said that after a season (or several boxes) of 3" or heavier duckloads they would indeed cycle 2 3/4" 1.25<oz field loads. The only problem with that is you aren't going to find any of the cheap $4 a box doveloads in 1.25oz offerings. Most are either 1oz or 1 1/8oz loads.

One thing I know from personal experience, they are backbored just like the 835 (very near a 10ga) and are DREAM guns for turkey hunting. The ulitimate that I have seen done with them is the .695 Rhino tube with 2 1/4oz 4x6x7.5 Nitro hevishot. The guns are SERIOUSLY tight and I have sold more than one for that specific use. (I use the same combo in my 835 and it put 22 pellets in a Coors Light can at 60 yds this April in MO!)

I would go with the camo version as well, the black guns I have seen suffer similar fate as the Express Remington black guns. The finish is EXTREMELY thin and will begin to glaze and even rust in very short order. They are NOT the all around auto like those from Beretta/Benelli or the Browning/Winchester but they aren't priced to be so either. For the duck hunter who knows how to properly clean an auto (and doesn't mind doing so) they should be fine. And like I said, they are HELL on turkeys and IMHO both the 835/935s are THE kings of the hill as far as 12ga turkey guns go!

RA