HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - About Smokeless Muzzleloading
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 03:45 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: About Smokeless Muzzleloading

We may as well learn to live with the fact that Smokeless Muzzle-loaders are here to stay. Technology is on the move. Some people are never happy unless they have something bigger and better (in their opinion) then the next guy. The State you hunt in will determine if this rifle shooting smokeless powder will be allowed to be used in their muzzle-loading season. Just as Traditional Black Powder shooters take offence at the modern in-line muzzle-loading shooters, some in-line shooters take offence of the smokeless muzzle-loader.

My view on this is, a propellant is put down the bore of a rifle. A similar projectile is them seated onto the powder charge. An independent ignition system is used to set the powder charge off. Same as every other muzzle-loader out there. There are Omega, Knight Disc, and many other rifles andshooters that use three pellets that can get some of the same speeds as the smokeless. So I guess the whole thing objected to is smokeless powder. I just look at it as another form of a muzzle-loader because of the propellant.

I have no desire to own a Savage because I have no desire to shoot smokeless powder.If they wanted to give me one, I would be more then glad to take it because it is my understanding they shoot black powder, Pyrodex, APP, and triple se7en powder equally well. Correct me if I am wrong on this point.

Muzzleloading legend, Gary B. "Doc" White, poses this question in his book:
"Why would any intelligent man stoop to using a gun that is slow to load, has a trajectory like a rainbow, requires constant management, is dirty, smelly and otherwise loathsome to use?"
That's easy Doc.. I get a big kick out of being different and I like the dirt and stink... what can I say.

I wonder about the actual basis of this quote. I would venture to guess that Doc White was making a point of describingthe enjoyment we black powder shooter have, shooting a black powder rifle. I do not think he was advocating the use of smokeless powder muzzleloaders, although I admit I have not read his book. It would be interesting to see if this quote was perhaps taken out of contex for the use of something else.

The Savage Smokeless Powder rifle in my opinion is nothing to get concerned about. If people want to own and hunt with one, fine... their money. I personally will stick with my Goex burning, rotten smelling, fowling, smoke belching, rainbow arching rifle I have now and not worry about someone else.