HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cabelas Tree Climbing Spikes?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Ifly

Default RE: Cabelas Tree Climbing Spikes?

I used to use pole climbers back before climbing treestands came out or loc on's were made commercially. We made our own loc ons and used pole climbers. I got mine from people who worked at the power company, or telephone company. If you know anybody that does they can get them cheaper. I never paid nothing..but times have changed.
You need shanks that go up to your knees and good pads to keep the shank from cutting in on your shin bones. You don't need a commercial belt,.you can buy good belts from treestand accessories places.I bought a pair of them Cabel's Sportsman Climbers yrs. ago when they first came out and you got a little belt with them..I still use that belt hanging loc ons..and never use a big commercial belt I got around here.
Some people like the longer "tree climber" gaffs better than the pole climbers. I liked the regular pole climber s becasue they don't put you so far out from the tree and was easier for me to hang and take down stands. You have to be carefull leaning in towards the tree cause that is when the gaffs will cut out.